The NorthWoods Conservation Corps is hiring Crew Members for the 2017 season. Crew members are selected through a competitive application process, hired to work at the crew location closest to them, and supervised by a trained leadership team. Successful candidates receive a weekly wage plus hands-on education and employment experience. Members must be willing to meet the mental and physical challenges of working in the outdoors by demonstrating maturity, enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic. A commitment to the environment and to their local communities is essential.
The Kingdom Corps works in Northern Vermont and New Hampshire to maintain trails, improve riparian habitats, and complete various conservation projects throughout Caledonia, Essex, Orleans, and Coos counties. The Northwoods and Caledonia Crews are based locally and travel daily to the worksite while the Backcountry Crew lives in a remote ‘spike’ camp during the work week.
The US Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) is a cooperative program between Northwoods and the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). YCC Crews work at National Fish and Wildlife Refuges throughout the Northeast region. At each site, crews improve wildlife habitats, study and protect wildlife populations, and manage critical refuge infrastructure.
Crew members will be asked to:
- Work alongside 4 – 7 other members while completing priority conservation projects
- Develop an individual project through NorthWoods’ Stewardship Education Project (STEP)
- Respond to and work with leadership team in a respectful and productive manner
- Promote a safe work environment for fellow crew members and the public
- Maintain a positive attitude and enthusiasm to learn more about conservation and natural resource management
The 2017 season runs from June 26th to August 4th. NorthWoods offers a comprehensive training week before work projects begin. Candidates must be able to work for the entire season.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Northwoods & Caledonia Crews, $350/week
Backcountry Crew, $400/week
Watershed Crew, $400/week
AmeriCorps Crew, $3,600 stipend bi-weekly and $1,212 education award upon completion
YCC Crews, $400/week
NorthWoods, Caledonia, Watershed, AmeriCorps & YCC Crew members are expected to work 40 hours/week, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm
Backcountry Crew members work Monday – Friday and live in a backcountry ‘spike camp’ near their work sites. Wages include meals plus backcountry lodging.
Candidates should possess, at a minimum, the following:
- Interest in developing skills and experience in natural resource conservation and management
- Commitment to protecting and improving the quality of the environment for human and natural communities
- The ability to work responsibly and cooperatively as a member of a team
- Experience in conservation, carpentry, landscaping/gardening, or farm/woods work a plus
- Capable of performing strenuous physical labor such as carrying 40+ pounds, including tools associated with duties (e.g. shovel, saw, etc.), over rough terrain
- Candidates must be between the ages of 15 and 18 by June 19th, 2017
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified and interested applicants should fill out the following information completely and accurately. In addition to the application questions, please upload one letter of reference written by someone other than a relative (with their contact information included) in the space provided. When completed, click “submit” and you will receive an email confirmation within a few minutes.
For a printer friendly version of the application, click here.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (802) 723-6551 ex 304
***Applications are closed for all positions except the Rhode Island crew.
If you submit your application successfully, you will receive an automated response. If you do not receive this response, please contact us or try to resubmit filling out all fields. We recommend saving your work by typing or copying it into a word document.
No luck submitting? Click here to try a different form, but please note you’ll need to email your reference letter separately to email@example.com. Thanks!
Please note that every required field must be completed in order to successfully submit your application. Once you click submit, please wait a few moments for your application to process – the page will reload and you will see a confirmation message. You will also receive an automated email notification and personal contact from our office. If you do not, please contact us in order to ensure your application has been received. The Corps Office: firstname.lastname@example.org, or for Technical issues: email@example.com. Thanks!