The NorthWoods Conservation Corps is hiring Crew Members for the 2018 season. Crew members (age 15-20) are selected through a competitive application process, hired to work at the crew location closest to them, and supervised by a trained leadership team. Successful candidates receive a weekly wage plus hands-on education and employment experience. Members must be willing to meet the mental and physical challenges of working in the outdoors by demonstrating maturity, enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic. A commitment to the environment and to their local communities is essential.
The Kingdom Corps works in Northern Vermont and New Hampshire to maintain trails, improve riparian habitats, and complete various conservation projects throughout Caledonia, Essex, Orleans, and Coos counties. The Northwoods and Watershed Crews are based locally and travel daily to the worksite while the Backcountry Crew lives in a remote ‘spike’ camp during the work week.
The US Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) is a cooperative program between Northwoods and the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). YCC Crews work at National Fish and Wildlife Refuges throughout the Northeast region. At each site, crews improve wildlife habitats, study and protect wildlife populations, and manage critical refuge infrastructure.
Duties & Responsibilities
Crew members will be asked to:
- Work alongside 4 – 7 other members while completing priority conservation projects
- Develop an individual project through NorthWoods’ Stewardship Education Project (STEP)
- Respond to and work with leadership team in a respectful and productive manner
- Promote a safe work environment for fellow crew members and the public
- Maintain a positive attitude and enthusiasm to learn more about conservation and natural resource management
The 2018 season runs from June 25th to August 3rd. NorthWoods offers a comprehensive training week before work projects begin. Candidates must be able to work for the entire season.
Compensation & Benefits
NorthWoods, Watershed & YCC Crew members are expected to work 40 hours/week, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm. Wages are $10.50/hour
Backcountry Crew members work Monday – Friday and live in a backcountry ‘spike camp’ near their work sites. Wages include meals plus backcountry lodging – all group equipment provided and some personal backcountry gear available. Wages are $10.50/hour minus $25 weekly food allowance.
Candidates should possess, at a minimum, the following:
- Interest in developing skills and experience in natural resource conservation and management
- Commitment to protecting and improving the quality of the environment for human and natural communities
- The ability to work responsibly and cooperatively as a member of a team
- Experience in conservation, carpentry, landscaping/gardening, or farm/woods work a plus
- Capable of performing strenuous physical labor such as carrying 40+ pounds, including tools associated with duties (e.g. shovel, saw, etc.), over rough terrain
- Candidates must be between the ages of 15 and 18 by June 19th, 2018
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants should fill out the application by clicking the button below. In addition to the application questions, please upload one letter of reference written by someone other than a relative (with their contact information included) in the space provided. When completed, click “submit” and you will receive an email confirmation within a few minutes.
For a printer friendly version of the application, click here.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email email@example.com or call (802) 723-6551 ex 304
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 15th, 2018